💡 Tip: Filter by City to view the best junkyards in your area.
11. T & C Metal Co.
378 Prairie St, Crystal Lake, IL 60014
5/5 - 3 reviewsrecycling center used auto parts
This family-owned recycling center offers a hassle-free experience for those looking to dispose of their scrap metal. Customers appreciate the fair prices and easy transaction process, making it a go-to choice in the area. With a focus on customer service, this place provides a convenient and friendly option for all your recycling needs.
"I've been taking my scrap metal here for years, nice people, family owned, good prices and easy in and out. Highly recommend."more
22. Days & Crawford Scrap Metal
304 Briarwood Dr, Crystal Lake, IL 60014
5/5 - 3 reviewsscrap metal dealer used auto parts
With a longstanding presence in the community, this family-owned scrap metal dealer is known for its friendly service, fair prices, and quick turnover. Customers appreciate the personal touch and honesty of the hardworking staff. Whether you're bringing in aluminum cans or other scrap materials, this business offers a true slice of America.
"Such nice folks. Always was nice to the kids when they brought their collection of aluminum cans. Always a pleasure to work with when I bring my stuff in. Honest, hard working and decent. True..."more
33. Route 12 Auto Parts & Salvage
4204 US-12, Richmond, IL 60071
3.3/5 - 3 reviewssalvage yard used auto parts
In case you're in the task of looking for the best second-hand parts near the Richmond vicinity, this junkyard is an excellent pick to get them at a low price. You have the possibility to contact them via: phone. This salvage yard operational hours info does not appear in our database but you have the option to check its website.This business has been voted 3 times by previous users.
"Great service lots of parking."more
44. Behr Iron & Metal
13914 Washington St, Woodstock, IL 60098
2.3/5 - 3 reviewsrecycling center used auto parts
This salvage yard offers a vast selection of used parts and is well-organized for easy access. The staff are skilled at safely operating cranes to assist with unloading, and the pricing is fair and market-driven. With a large yard, customers of all vehicle sizes will find it easy to navigate and find what they need.
"Very clean (for a scrap yard) with very skilled and safe crane operators to get you unloaded. Prices vary as the market does but they are very fair and will treat you with respect. Large yard..."more
55. Elgin Recycling
5114 E Terra Cotta Ave, Crystal Lake, IL 60014
2.3/5 - 3 reviewsrecycling center
Our local recycling center offers a extensive variety of recycling services to help you properly dispose of your recyclable materials. Our dedicated team is committed to providing excellent customer service and educating our clients on the most effective recycling practices. We strive to create a sustainable environment by offering convenient solutions for all your recycling needs.
"These guys work so hard and I appreciate all their help. Willing to answer questions and educate me on the best ways to recycle. This is by far the best place to go for your recycling needs..."more
66. Alter Metal Recycling - Woodstock
13914 Washington St, Woodstock, IL 60098recycling center
Located in the heart of the city, this recycling center provides a convenient and eco-friendly solution for disposing of your recyclable items. With a broad range of materials accepted, including paper, plastic, glass, and metal, customers can feel good about reducing their environmental impact while keeping their community clean.
🤓 Did you know... The businesses shown here have been selected and ordered based on both our quality criteria and reviews shared by real people. Learn more about our selection and ranking criteria.
FAQs about junkyards in McHenry County, IL
What legal requirements do I need to meet to sell my car to a junkyard in McHenry County, IL?
In order to sell your car to a junkyard in McHenry County, IL, you typically need to meet these legal requirements:
- Proof of Ownership: You must provide proof of ownership, which is usually your vehicle title. If you don't have the title, contact the Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to obtain a duplicate.
- Valid Identification: You'll need to show a valid government-issued photo ID, like a driver's license or passport.
- Complete a Bill of Sale: Some junkyards may ask you to complete a Bill of Sale, indicating the sale price and stating that you're selling the vehicle "as-is."
- Release of Liability: Submit a Release of Liability to the McHenry County, IL DMV to remove your liability for the vehicle once it's sold. You can do this online or by mailing the appropriate form.
- Smog Certificate: Depending on the age and location of your vehicle, you may need to provide a valid smog certificate. Junkyards often handle this if required.
- Remove License Plates: Before handing over your vehicle, remove the license plates. You can either transfer them to another vehicle or return them to the DMV.
- Payment: Ensure you receive payment for the vehicle. The payment method may vary, so discuss this with the junkyard beforehand.
- Cancellation of Insurance: Contact your auto insurance company to cancel coverage on the sold vehicle.
Please note that specific requirements can vary depending on the junkyard and the condition of your vehicle. Always check with the junkyard you plan to sell to and refer to the Illinois DMV for the most up-to-date information and forms.
Can I sell a junk car without a title in McHenry County, IL?
If you try to sell a car without a title, your choices might be more restricted than those of other sellers who have a readily available title.
- If you are still in the process of paying off a car loan, the likelihood is that the bank or lienholder still possesses your car's title. You must reach out to your bank to get a payoff amount. It's important to ensure that your car's selling price can cover it.
- If your car title is missing, lost, or stolen and you're wondering how to sell your car, you need to request a replacement title.
- If your car is totaled, has a salvage title, has no title at all, or you have no way to obtain a valid title, car junkyards often buy cars without a title an pay you in cash. However, the lack of a title might lower your selling price.
Do they offer shipping?
Yes, many of them ship parts. However, there may be additional shipping charges. Be sure to ask about shipping charges before you buy any parts.
How do I remove a part from a junkyard?
If you are planning on removing a part from a vehicle yourself, be sure to take precautions to avoid injury. Be aware of your surroundings and be careful not to overexert yourself. You should also ask the staff for assistance if needed. We recommend that you bring:
- Screw drivers
- Impact driver
- Sockets SAE and Metric
- Breaker bar
- Penetrating Fluid
Are they open on weekends?
Some of them, so check their operating hours.
How can I find the closest junkyard near my location
If you're around McHenry County, IL, the list above presents a range of trustworthy local junkyards and salvage yards. Feel free to browse their services and get in touch with them! To explore additional options or scout out other areas, we recommend using our junkyard locator. It'll help you pinpoint the finest junkyards nearby..
What is the difference between a junkyard and a salvage yard?
While the terms are often used interchangeably, a salvage yard may focus more on recycling and reselling parts.
Can they ask me for an entry fee?
Some junkyards may require you to pay a small entrance or admission fee (usually a few bucks) in order to enter their facilities. With this money they can cover their administrative and maintenance costs and ensure that they receive customers who are truly interested in parts.